Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wabare kukunda waawe!! (Thank you for your love!)

I have finally made it to a computer. Sorry it has taken so long, but it is very hard to find time to spend away from other PCTs and my home-stay family!

Here's the news:
There are 44 PCTs and we are all here for Education, specifically in the Science field. It is about an even split between men and women. AND EVERYONE IS AMAZING. We are such a dynamic group but everyone has one common theme, we are hugely sarcastic, which is perfect! We all get along so well.

We stayed the first two weeks at the training center due to standfast. This, I believe, really helped with building all of our relationships with each other. We are a really close group compared to most other PCT groups. Laweza Training Center was beautiful, thankfully because we were on lock down the two weeks we were here and weren't allowed to leave the facility. It had running electricity and running water. (We were spoiled!) They also cooked all our meals for us. We have break tea in the morning between breakfast and dinner, which I think we should adapt in America. It is pretty amazing! Elections went on without a flaw, which was great. So we were able to go to our home-stay families after the 2 weeks.

My home-stay family is in Laweza. I live my mom, Patience, and my two sisters, Mary, 14, and Joyce, 6. Our Aunt stays here as well. We live in a compound with lots of other tenants, but my mom runs the facility. She is chicken farmer, we have 1100 chickens and chicks. We have the only "house" in the compound. I have my own HUGE room, with a twin bed and a little end table. All my stuff is staying in the suitcases though so no spiders or bugs occupy my clothes without my knowledge. Our house has power most of the time. I have learned now how to bucket bathe, use a pit latrine, wash my clothes by hands (that wasn't really new though) and how to help cook on coals outside in the dark! My family is amazing, very sweet and sensitive. The girls are inquisitive and my mom is helping me with the language. There is a lot to learn on both ends.

We eat matoke, poshoe, beans, rice and greens every meal. So far I am loving the food! I am avoiding the meat though, because you have to be careful how stuff is cooked. I am fortunate that at breakfast I get eggs and breads, which are wonderful! All the other PCTs are really jealous! I get to use silverwear, but I am really the only one in my family to do so. I don't think I will make the leap to use my hands, beans and soup can be really hard to eat that way! There goal is to get me "fat" so don't worry about me not eating enough. They kinda get offended when I say I am full and done eating, because they don't want me to stop. They also try to feed me five times a day, and anyone who knows me knows I don't eat a lot. So this has been a big transition to me. I am hoping they get used to that fact sooner than later. I just keep reassuring them that their food is delicious and I have a small stomach!

We have already started teaching at the Secondary schools around Laweza. (High school equivalent.) I have been teaching S1, S2 Chemistry and S1, S2 and S5 Biology. Secondary schools go from S1-S6, where S5 and S6 are basically our college level courses. It has been fun to co-teach but it is a lot of work because of the melding of teaching styles. Basically, I can't wait to go to site and do it on my own to really get my feet wet. Hopefully I will be teaching only Biology and preferably upper level, but everything is up in the air still.

I have learned I will be moving the Southwest and will be speaking Runyankore. (What I wrote in for the header.) I have really lucked out because they get "seasons" there and it is the most beautiful part of the country! So I am super duper stoked! There are 5 of us going there, and 5 going a little North of us.

Our trainers and staff here are amazing. Our group of PCTs have lucked out because the trainers are actually PCVs, which is a new thing for training. We have learned a lot already from them, and they have really helped us adjust. Our days are long and intense, but fun. Now that we know our languages, we are consumed in that everyday and teaching.

I know you guys can send me stuff, it might take longer to get here, but I will get it. Even if it doesn't get here until I move to site, it will be at the Peace Corps headquarters in Kampala and they will tell me it is there and I can pick it up. So far I am good on underoos ;) We never know what the future holds. If you guys want specifics on anything to send just email me so I can tell you whether or not it would be helpful. (Most likely it would be very helpful, but I don't want you guys to spend unnecessary money.)

I miss everyone a lot and think about you guys everyday. I have made some amazing new friends that I feel like are family already. So I am doing great! Has made the transition super! I know I had more to write, but I have forgotten. So hopefully I will be able to buy my own modem soon, because we have yet to go to Kampala yet where we have to get it. I do have a phone, and if you want that number just email me. I hope everything is all well back in the states! If you guys have any questions post them on the blog and I will try to get back to them as soon as possible. I know I left out some stuff, so that would help remind me! :)

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY.

WABARE MUNONGA!


1 comment:

  1. sounds like youre kicking ass and taking names. keep it up, kiddo

    ReplyDelete